View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Lazarus -

Wow, now I am really mixed up. I thought it was the other way around. I thought diesel was a "less processed" form of fuel (hence all the dirtiness). The less-processed aspect led me to believe that it was less energy intensive.

CarloSW2
Retracing my steps. It not more energy it's more oil. Although they say it pollutes more. Here's some interesting reading.

Quote:
Even though diesels go farther on a gallon of fuel, diesel fuel is higher in carbon. So, per gallon, diesel engines emit more carbon dioxide, a major greenhouse gas. Also, it takes more oil to make a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gasoline, and refining diesel creates more air pollution
I have my doubts about that claim. Also here.

Quote:
Since Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards give credit to vehicles based on fuel economy rather than oil use, and a gallon of low-sulfur diesel fuel requires 25 percent more oil than a gallon of low-sulfur reformulated gasoline, putting more diesel vehicles on the road without also raising fuel economy standards could actually increase U.S. oil dependence. CAFE standards should, at a minimum, compare gasoline and diesel on an energy-equivalent basis.
If this needs to be broken out to a new thread fell free.