View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Chalupa102
Cycling more to drive les

White 'rolla - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 44.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chalupa102
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrbrc View Post
...Utah is not known for its densely populated metro areas. It's known for long straight empty stretches of highway. When 55 was the "national" speed limit, those of us who drive those long empty straight highways almost died of boredom. 65 was survivable, and 75 is pretty darn nice. And, no, it's not remotely "dangerous". Now, somebody living in western Massachusetts might not get this, but a 300 mile trip one way is fairly common out here on the Plains, and there is no other choice but the car. For me, the difference between 60mph and 70 mph is 2.2 gallons versus 1.5 hours. And when that 600 mile round trip has to be done in one day, that hour and a half less driving is very much a big safety factor...
I agree that i did jump to conclusions when i first posted this. U make a lot of good points in this post. It's been a long, long time since i've been to Utah, but from what i remember, exactly like u said: miles and miles and miles of nothing. I can understand why people would want to go 80 MPH there.

Now i don't believe states with closer cities and more traffic like MA should raised there pls to 80, but it would make some sense with states like Utah.

I personally wouldn't want to go that fast now, but i have driven around 75 back in the day when i used to travel from NC to MA, before i started really hypermiling. Granted, my f/e wasn't all that great but all i wanted to do was get home, so i can see where ur coming from.

It's been a while since i've driven that fast, and i plan to keep it that way so i can see better f/e. I'll stick to the right lane and let the guys who wanna go faster use the other lanes.

Corolla aeromods thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-11210.html