View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 05:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
5EFE
75mpg or bust

Chelsea - '97 Toyota Tercel CE
90 day: 58.36 mpg (US)

Victorinox - '00 Victorinox 241000
90 day: 29.1 mpg (US)
Maybe I'm feeding you old news, but.... you've got 13" H wheels on it now, which I believe are alloys. The only wheel options for XTs (due to the odd 4x140mm bolt pattern) are 14" or 15" inch Peugeot 504/505 wheels or you can swap hubs from an XT6 which used a standard 5 lug pattern. The Peugeot wheels may be lighter and then you could moon dish them, or just leave the wheels alone.

An older Subaru 1.6 EA71 engine will swap in with little trouble to the existing 5 speed, trouble is that engine only came with a carburetor. On the plus side, they are known for being even more reliable and easier to work on than the OHC EA82 you have (no timing belts) It may be possible to swap the single port fuel injection from your XT onto one, it's something I'd want to do if I ever got another Brat. They are also extremely frugal. If you want to get really serious you could always think about getting a more modern EJ18 in there,

I'd love to get a wedge'y XT one day. I'm not sure if it's possible to make them any more aerodynamic then they already are though! Sorry if I'm rambling, I just got excited about seeing an old Subaru!