View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
@shovel--

Perhaps your car is better than average. Or perhaps your test results only show one specific set of circumstances, not all of the possible load/RPM/temperature/etc. possibilities. But I still think that the average current 40 MPG car puts out far less emissions per mile than the average 1989 40 MPG car.

@cfg83--it would be nice if that were the case. But there isn't enough $$ in it, and the regulatory hurdles would be immense. For instance, if my 914 were a 1976 model year one (and therefore subject to smog testing here in CA), I could swap out the old weird funky analog electronic fuel injection for a modern digital system which reduced emissions by 80%, and it would be labeled "GROSS POLLUTER" and I would have to put it back to its original more-polluting form to pass emissions testing.

-soD
Dave -

I'm sure there are permits and exemption authorities that would allow you to get CARB approval for such a modification... legal loopholes, as it were.

I believe that even in California, upgrading emissions is legal, when done through the proper channels. EPA and CARB both have regulations which allow engine switching, given that the new engine is from/complies to the same emissions standards as the vehicle that it's being swapped into, or is from a newer MY of the same chassis type, and the same manufacturer. There is a caveat, though, in that you can only swap in setups that create a vehicle that is currently considered an EPA approved OEM configuration. IOW, the engine/transmission/drive gear options that came in your vehicle are allowed to be swapped, from the same manufacturer, and in the same chassis type. If a newer model of your same vehicle had updated emissions equipment, there is a chance you could get CARB approval to upgrade your emissions equipment.