View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Christ -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I've been told both ways about emissions tests in Cali - that you both can and can't change gearing.

From what I've been told, you can, as long as it's something that comes with your vehicle during the same production run. I've been told that if the engine speed doesn't match the dyno speed for your VIN, you fail.

It's been both ways verbally. Without being there, or looking up the laws (which don't apply to me, so you know how far that's going to go... ) I can't say one way or the other for sure.

I do know that there is very little that is legal according to the EPA when it comes to engine swapping. I posted a PDF of the abstract somewhere, either here or on CustomTacos.com.
Hmmmm, I guess I was lucky because they never used the 5th gear that I swapped. In 2007 when I passed, I didn't have the 5th gear, but they only went as high as 3rd gear in their test. In 2009, they only went as high as 2nd gear.

But even if they had an issue, my gear swap would have complied with your statement. But it's a good thing I didn't swap the whole tranny, because I didn't have to deal with it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society