View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterjeep View Post
I use Acetone on a pretty regular basis. About 3 oz per 10 gallon ratio. I think that it absorbs moisture similar to iso-heet and possibly increases octane. I experimented with it on a vacation in my wife's car and we consistantly got 3 mpg better with Acetone than without. It's cheap too $15 for a gallon breaks down to about 50 cents per tank.
Acetone evaporates almost as quickly as you pour it.* Acetone, like you get in hobby shops and the like, is also "wet". It doesn't have alot of capacity to be hygroscopic beyond what is already being held, in regards to water.

The octane level of pure Acetone (anhydrous) is ~150... adding 3oz to 10 gallons of 91 octane fuel may get you 92 octane. I'm not even going to do the math, it's such a small change.

The "stigma" of Acetone in fuel is that it's supposed to make the fuel "Easier to digest", by breaking the surface tension of the fuel, allowing it to mix and vaporize completely in the air stream. Of course, it's also completely false.

3MPG is a fairly hefty claim for a Jeep with Acetone. I'd like to see some of your test methods.

As always, welcome to EM!