View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Compression and Juice

Engine-off Coasting in 5th will hold you back more than Neutral due to compression of the engine. Neutral removes the resistance of turning engine parts and accessories.

As far as battery life is concerned, I think of that as a negligible effect of this technique. I've done a moderate amount of EOC'ing (with headlights always on: day or night for safety) on a 6-year-old battery, in an automatic.

In the Summers, I also have the blower running to draw air into the cabin as opposed to creating drag with windows down. So far it has outlasted my expectations -- but I expect it to go any day (I've said that for more than a year -- knock on wood).

This is all with an automatic. I have to rely on the battery and starter to get going again. I've tried the engine-off in Drive technique and successfully restarted with key-on, but the torque converter has to be locked -- and I'm not sure of the effects on the transmission with such practices.

There's a big, re-chargeable battery under the hood. I say, use it!

RH77

_
_