View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #100 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
prelim results & butt-o-meter

The boat tail is complete, and I just took it for a 40 km drive:

Above: failed attempt to get some quick tuft test results. These pics are screen caps from my crummy 2 mp digicam movie that isn't quite up to the task of resolving the tufts - there really are a bunch of them on the back of the car in those pics! (I'm still planning to do the webcam-on-the-car trick that I know will work.)

The drive: 40 km round trip, next to no wind, about 7 C.

Observations:

• Once the car warmed up, it was pretty clear this is one of those rare mods that doesn't need A-B-A testing with a ScanGauge to really know there's an improvement.
  • I can go faster than I used to at a given MPG point. I used to have a saying: "70 at 70" - a rough guideline that meant that I could drive with load on roughly level ground and sustain about 70 mpg (US) at around 70 km/h indicated (faster actual speed, since my speedo under reports by 6%). But on this drive, once the car warmed up, I was able to hold that 70 mpg at around 80 km/h (50 mph) indicated (faster actual speed).
  • Based on that, a 10% MPG improvement at highway speeds doesn't seem out of the question.
  • on a downhill I regularly drive I had to back WAAAY off the throttle compared to before to keep from accelerating past the speed limit
  • seemed to be able to hold 5th gear longer on a couple up uphills. I love being able to climb mild grades @ 50+ mpg!
  • the boat tail literally stops traffic. A guy actually came to a halt in his Chevy Avalanche in the middle of a turn in an intersection to gape - blocking through traffic from two directions.
  • It's off kilter! Only noticed this once I got it out of the garage and could stand well back and look at it from behind: the tip of the boat tail isn't inline with the centerline of the car - offset to the passenger side about 3 inches. So much for eyeballing it inside a cramped garage! Should have used the tape measure again after setting up the bulkheads, before starting to put the skin on.
  • It's strong enough. I can grab the tip of the boat tail and shake the entire car side to side and up & down, with very little movement in the tail itself. Yay for "hurricane tape".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	movie-driveby-1.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	4787   Click image for larger version

Name:	movie-driveby-2.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	4788  
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
brucepick (05-19-2010), Daox (11-23-2009), discovery (12-01-2009), MadisonMPG (11-24-2009), NeilBlanchard (11-22-2009), Piwoslaw (11-22-2009), Rokeby (11-21-2009), Sorrow Six Star (11-22-2009), thatguitarguy (11-22-2009), ThePrudentNinja (07-05-2015)