View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenKreton View Post
I tried this in an automatic focus and I heard a decently loud bump. Is this safe to do in an auto? I want to try in the corolla, which is an auto, but I've been a bit scared. The corolla is a decade older too, if that makes a difference.
Good question. Honestly, I don't know.

If you're refering to the "kill the engine in Drive" procedure, I would guess that it is not healthy for an automatic. From the recent info that I've heard, there hasn't been any info to support it.

As far as Neutral, EOC, I'd be bold enough to say maybe

If your vehicle is safe to engine-off tow in Neutral with the drive wheels turning (per the manual) then I'd say "probably, yes".

Mine doesn't recommend such a practice, but it has been widely debated for and against. I've been EOC-ing for about 2-years (moderately) without consequence on a transmission with 133K miles (probably 30K miles of that). I did tighten the throttle cable to the transmission, which also tightens shifts to reduce slippage from "factory comfy-shifts" and to engage the TC at the minimum allowed speed per the Transmission Control Unit. When warm, it will lug the engine at 35 mph in top gear / TC engaged. Shifts are abrupt, but I'm told that's better than slippage.

Plan: It's time to change the transmission fluid, so I have some Synthetic ATF that I need to get in there -- just finding the time...

RH77

_
_