View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #218 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Tranny Trouble

I have no idea what I am doing -

Did I mention before that I have almost no auto mechanic experience?

I also had never ridden or worked on a motorcycle, but that didn't stop me from building an Electric Kawasaki!

I was looking at the transmission, trying to figure out how to remove it.
The repair manual has NO pictures of showing the removal. Mostly it references four or five other parts of the manual.

The only thing that looks like it is a transmission fluid drain plug has a 3/8th" square female connection that is fairly rusty and has just enough of a ding in it that I can't put my 3/8th extension in it!

The first step in removing the transaxle is to take off the front tires. I can't get either one off! It looks like on the Metro, the hub contacts directly against the inside ring of the wheel. It's like it is designed to give exactly enough surface are so that the two can rust perfectly together!

I sprayed both wheel hubs with plenty of rust-loosening solvent, and will try my hand at it again tommorow. Can somebody please tell me exactly (with details please!) how one uses a propane torch to loosen a part?

I also tried disconnecting the two attachment points between the shifter and transmission. Both have a nut and a bolt. I got the nuts off, but can't do anything with the bolts, as though they are also threaded or have some other strange feature!

The only thing I could really manage to do was disconnect the speedometer cable.

I would like to remove the transmission, so I can more easily examine and work on the shaft of it, and figure out how to connect the motor.

If I can drag the motor and transmission out to some machinists and other people, I can actually show them what I am trying to do and figure out how to create a coupler. That's the big fancy step. I know how to do things with batteries and install a controller, etc.

I am going to be kind of stuck until I get the transmission out!

On the up side, we had really nice weather today. I was actually able to work outside.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos