View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Hows that for optimism

Unless it is public domain, it will get bogged down in money issues for another decade.
The EPA had a 3800 pound test mule hydraulic hybrid that got 80 MPG ten years ago.

Ingo Valentin claimed 130 MPG for his design ten years ago.

Basjoos is close to 80 MPG.

Take all the mods combined, aero, LRR tires, preheated intake air, hot coolant into the engine, and all the rest, and you have already reached 80 MPG. Then add a power train that automatically compensates for all conditions. Idle stop, 85% regeneration of all deceleration energy, down to 0 speed, at all 4 wheels, and you have the recipe for 100 MPG.

Now the real challenge is 100 MPG at 70 MPH

Throttle less engines, variable compression, no valve train, specific best BSFC operational parameters, and you will get very close to 100 MPG at 70 MPH.

Maybe I am optimistic.

After studying it for close to a decade, the only real question is how to get 100 MPG at sustained high speeds.

I have already seen 81 for 22 miles at 60 MPH on my own car, and many have done close to 100 in manual Insights.

That's ten year old technology. Now we are on the threshold of 100 MPG in a 2500 pound 5 passenger sedan with all the modern bells a whistles, while reducing emissions to a level of insignificance.

"No brag just facts"

You will see it in 5 years, mark my words.

It will not be expensive, and it will make what we have today seem like an ancient technology that was extraordinarily wasteful.

regards
Mech