View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
stretch-hyper-commuter
EcoModding Lurker

Brooks Fit (HRA) - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 38.98 mpg (US)

Geoizm - '96 GM GEO PRIZM
Last 3: 48.93 mpg (US)

2G Insight (2014) - '14 Honda Insight
X-Prize VW1L and Tandem Seating

As my login name suggests, I commute to work long distances.
Urban to rural at 50 miles one way. Pretty much all highway, so takes me a little over 50 minutes averaging around 60 mph.

100 mpg is really not that hard to get at hwy speeds if you have the correct aerodynamics and appropriate sized engine. Having the 2-person tandem seating or just a one seater and reducing the frontal area is huge for efficiency.
I am excited to see these ultra efficient vehicles coming out in X-Prize, and also at the 09 Frankfurt Autoshow, my dream car, the VW 1L. (Hybrid Diesel getting 170 mpg at ~MSRP of $30K) Probably not coming to US though.

Which brings me back to what would I pay for 100mpg vehicle?
Of course it depends on what the gas is, but say $3 and in my scenario:

I would love to have just a 1 or 2 Seater Tandem vehicle, 3 wheels is cool $down, a conventional IC engine, have some commuter friendly items such as AC/Heat, MP3 stereo, cruise for the price of a motorcycle ~ $10K.
This way I could keep my Fit for it's awesome cargo capability.

Now If I had the money, I would pay much more for something that is cutting edge and a very advanced design, like the VW 1L, with really my overall main motivation to reduce my personal carbon footprint.

I hope this ultra efficient vehicle trend takes, it sickens me to see all the people commuting every day to work, ALONE!!!, in these big SUVs, Trucks, Sedans.