View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #45 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Hope it helps. From your description I would think it would make a difference in the whole trip, especially if your t-stat is never allowing the car to get to its designed operating temperature.

My drive is .3 miles out of my neighborhood, then a left on a 55 MPH highway.

All 3 of my cars are warm within .2 miles of the same place.

I start and go, no waiting. My original 37 Ford that still had the 6 volt system with a starter cranking speed of 100 RPM, would produce 60 PSI oil pressure in less than 5 seconds cranking. That was with the ignition off. It had a starter button that did not require the ignition to be on to work. I like to crank it until it got pressure before I fired it up, since it sat for at least a week between drives.

Also I like to keep a load on the engine when it's warming up. I get the Echo in 4th or 5th gears going 25 in the .3 mile neighborhood leg. Keeping the revs low gets it warm faster with less fuel. It will actually go 25 in 5th with my foot off the gas at fast idle.

I have seen the auto stop on the Insight function within .3 miles of my house, at the stop sign where I turn left on the main highway.

I love your resurrection, enjoy mega mileage.

regards
Mech