View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Might not be interested in this solution, but why don't you just pedal.

I wish I lived that close to anything. Last year I lived close enough to work that I pedaled half the time all summer. That was a 34 mile round trip with 1000 ft climb on the way to work, and coming back home I could hit 30 MPH in a few places. Infinite MPG, and I was in the best shape I'd been in years. But enough of that...

The little 66cc motors that people are using to convert bikes don't have any pollution controls, and even though they get up to 150 MPG, they are not very green burning two-stroke oil all the way.

An electric conversion is much more expensive, basically because of the battery, but much quieter and eco-friendly.

I guess I'm just an old tree-hugger...

What he ^ said.

If you must have help riding there, you can get a cheapo electric bike from Wallmart.

Walmart.com: E-Zip 2008 Trailz Hybrid Electric Bike, Men's: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

Again, If you build a bike and install a small gasoline engine on it, you will more than likely be creating several times the amount of pollution that you would just driving there.

Think Motorcycles and Scooters are Great for the Environment? Wrong! | Hypermiling, Fuel Economy, and EcoModding News - EcoModder.com