Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
4 miles? Pshh... EASY!

As you guys probably know, I dive 4 miles to and from school every day. Today, I am pulling out all the stops. I think I am going to build a gas powered bicycle. I will update later on my plans.

My route is actually 3 miles, not 4. der (just checked) Below are 2 route choices for me, tell me which one makes more sense.

EDIT: I just noticed that there is nearly a 1 mile difference between the two. Option 1 it is. So it should take me ~12 minutes to get to school, vs. ~5 minutes driving.

Last edited by MadisonMPG; 11-28-2009 at 04:33 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-28-2009, 03:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Route 1 takes me the way that I drive. There is a sidewalk the entire time, with very little traffic. I will have to cross 4 lanes of traffic (45mph speed limit) with a median in the middle. Then I have to climb a hill, not sure the grade or length, but it's tough. Then I have 2 relatively big intersections (with crosswalks) and I am at school.

Pros: Sidewalk the whole time, shortest, probably fastest
Cons:Steep hill, cross 4 lanes, busiest (on the road at least)

This is my favorite option.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Options 2 makes me climb a steeper, but shorter, hill. And lets me travel on the road with traffic (limit is 30 or so). I would park my bike at a church instead of the school if I did this.

Pros: slower traffic
Cons: one road is pretty busy ( I think ), longer

Old 11-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I like option 1 because it's fairly straight... I don't pay too much mind to vehicle speed on non-locked highways, because it's fairly relative... just because the speed limit says 40 doesn't mean the guy on your ass isn't trying to do 55 anyway.

I'm not too fond of Option 2, it seems like you're going a good bit out of your way, and making alot of turns... all those intersections will prove more dangerous than maintaining a steady ride in the same direction as traffic, anyway.

Option 1, man. It's the safer bet.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
One note,
I wouldn't rely on taking a gas powered anything on the sidewalk. Those electric assist bicycles can get away with it in many places but there's no exceptions for gas that I know of.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Here, I don't want to be one of those sort who obstruct with vague legal concerns.

Section 32-1-1.1
(4) BICYCLE. Every device propelled by human power upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels either of which is more than 14 inches in diameter.
(34) MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLE. Every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor which produces not to exceed five brake horsepower nor to exceed 150 cubic centimeter engine displacement, and weighs less than 200 pounds fully equipped, and every bicycle with motor attached.

(81) VEHICLE. Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application.

Section 32-5A-52

No person shall drive any vehicle upon a sidewalk or sidewalk area except upon a permanent or duly authorized temporary driveway.

So we know what constitutes a vehicle in alabama (a motorized bicycle counts) and that it cannot be used on a sidewalk.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
Might not be interested in this solution, but why don't you just pedal.

I wish I lived that close to anything. Last year I lived close enough to work that I pedaled half the time all summer. That was a 34 mile round trip with 1000 ft climb on the way to work, and coming back home I could hit 30 MPH in a few places. Infinite MPG, and I was in the best shape I'd been in years. But enough of that...

The little 66cc motors that people are using to convert bikes don't have any pollution controls, and even though they get up to 150 MPG, they are not very green burning two-stroke oil all the way.

An electric conversion is much more expensive, basically because of the battery, but much quieter and eco-friendly.

I guess I'm just an old tree-hugger...
Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Oh guys, I must have mislead you. I am using the gas powered bike for recreational purposes on the weekend. It will still be able to be pedaled to and from school. I may use the gas engine to help me up the one hill, because I don't want to be sweaty when I get to school.

I found a bike to use yesterday, I need a new seat post and handle bar.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post

I wish I lived that close to anything. Last year I lived close enough to work that I pedaled half the time all summer. That was a 34 mile round trip with 1000 ft climb on the way to work, and coming back home I could hit 30 MPH in a few places. Infinite MPG, and I was in the best shape I'd been in years. But enough of that...
<snip>
haha

Electric is in the future for this bike, right now gas is simple.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post

The little 66cc motors that people are using to convert bikes don't have any pollution controls, and even though they get up to 150 MPG, they are not very green burning two-stroke oil all the way.

An electric conversion is much more expensive, basically because of the battery, but much quieter and eco-friendly.

I guess I'm just an old tree-hugger...

What he ^ said.

If you must have help riding there, you can get a cheapo electric bike from Wallmart.

Walmart.com: E-Zip 2008 Trailz Hybrid Electric Bike, Men's: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

Again, If you build a bike and install a small gasoline engine on it, you will more than likely be creating several times the amount of pollution that you would just driving there.

Think Motorcycles and Scooters are Great for the Environment? Wrong! | Hypermiling, Fuel Economy, and EcoModding News - EcoModder.com

Reply  Post New Thread