View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Thanks for the above, Bob.

I've been studying the EWDs and there are some mysteries. One thing that seems obvious is that the inverter powers two main branches, One with the 12V on it with some basic functions and another, isolated from the 12V battery with a much higher total load. It may turn out they are all on a communal bus, but that is how it looks from here. It somehow does not seem logical, on reflection because it would mean that the DC-DC has two isolated output branches. Possible for redundancy but not likely.

I need to find out what the function is of the three leads which are mentioned below...

Quote:
The "Toyota Prius Electrical Wiring Diagram, 2003 Model" is publication EWD893U would be an excellent guide. Looking on pp. 50 and pp. 59, it looks like the main inverter 12 VDC supply and sense lines are:

C5 connector, pin 1 - main supply, WHITE
C4 connector, pin 3 - sense or secondary 5A line from aux B+ terminal, BLACK with RED STRIPE
C4 connector, pin 1 - IGCT unknown, WHITE with GREEN stripe to all ECUs
C4 connector, pin 2 - IDH unknown, YELLOW to A/C amplifier
One is apparently a sense lead but for what? Why does the DC-DC need that when it has the main line right there? Just thinking out loud.

Back to the diagrams...

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.