View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
More good ideas.

Quote:
One other thing, the vehicle ECUs use 'cheap' DRAM for persistent memory. What this means is losing the 12 VDC wipes out not only the clock and radio stations but also the ICE Lambda constants. Many have noticed that it takes a couple of runs before the Prius 'relearns' these values and becomes more efficient again.
This only happens when the 12V is disconnected though right? Not if it just drops below 12v.

For now I'm going to test it with my 12V batteries - 750 watt inverter - 50 amp switch-mode charger - 12V Prius. Some losses from the batteries there but it's all the same to the Prius.

In the meantime I should be on the lookout for some big-ass diodes and hopefully a similarly big-ass DC-DC. The diodes reside in the voltage regulators, yes? Or are they mounted on the alternator?

Is the diode simply wired in line with the Prius DC-DC main wire? Which way should the "ring" face.

I'm going to need block heaters to get decent mileage in the winter here. I just did two trips to the Cove and back and the Km/100 bars traced a hyperbolic curve down from the cold drive to the warm.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.