View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
AXMonster
British Ecomod Hypermiler

The AXe - SOLD - '97 Citroen Citroen AX 1.1i 5 Door
90 day: 46.78 mpg (US)

Foci - '03 Ford Ford Focus Tdci Ghia Estate
90 day: 64.37 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extragoode View Post
I've posted this in another thread, but it's the same idea. If you MUST recharge the battery on the go instead of like tjts1 suggests doing, belt the alternator to a driveshaft and only energize the coils with the brake lights. That's REAL regen braking. You'd only be charging when you're trying to stop when you're trying to bleed off energy anyway and you could still put in a switch to kick it in full time if the battery got too low. The only problem I see is possiby the speed the driveshafts turning could be a lot different than the engine, but that just requires a different sized pulley on the alternator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
I'd love a write up if anyone has success.

I figure the easiest way would be to switch the alternator fuse on/off with a microswitch attached to the brake. Every time the brake is depressed, the fuse contact is closed and the alternator starts functioning again.

Low battery voltage can be solved by monitoring and using a switch to permanently engage the fuse.

- LostCause
Some good ideas, but I want a system that I DON'T have to plug into the domestic power supply after each journey. If I had that then I may as well have an EV I don't think there would be enough braking time during a normal drive cycle to keep the battery fully charged..... unless each wheel had an alternator that was energised during the first stage of braking, and a second stage actuated the hydraulic brakes (two stage brake pedal)?

And why only regen when braking? I tend to use over-run deceleration more than braking. As the engine is already slowing the vehicle then why not regen during this phase? Of course this will also work when braking