View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Tried to Buy a New Car

But they failed.

For those following the discussion (or not), the long-time debate for a Teggy replacement (if that's possible) is...

The 2010 Honda Insight EX.

So, my Wife and I headed to the local Honda dealer to start wheelin' and dealin'. She was the "Bad Cop" because, well, I'm not good with negotiating for a new car. "I'll take it!" has often led to costly car purchases. The 2003 Mistubishi Evo comes to mind...

So then, what happened? JUNK FEES.

I'm posting this to poll others if this has become common.

1) $200 Honda Advertising Fee
2) $199.95 Administration Fee
3) $350 Dealer Trade / Transport Charge

OK, so #2 has been allowed by the State and was capped at $199.95. I'll let that one slide, maybe...

So, should the consumer pay a dealer to have Corporate advertise? That's what "profit" is for, right?

And, I need a dark interior. I spill stuff. The car was in "Nebraska" and had to be transported via flatbed so the reverse trade "wouldn't accrue mileage". I know of other dealers to drive vehicles 100's of miles to trade. What happened? I wasn't going to settle on a big purchase, that I would spending lots of time driving.

So our final offer (based on Edmunds "what others are paying") was way under, so we walked.

We're keeping cars longer (and running costs are lower), which is the reason for selecting a new car.

So, the plan is to go to another dealer and press our luck. Apparently there's a sale on interest rates -- but only if you get that far.

RH77

_
_