View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
If you have a very shallow dipstick hole, just stick a crap thermometer in there for a min, and see what it comes up to. Better yet, check how fast the temp rises, so you can gauge how much of your 1.4Kw you're actually getting heat from, versus how much is just dissipating. For something as small as a bike engine, I'd assume you're losing alot of that heat to the open air.

Maybe pull the heater apart and mount the inductive coil element inside the block, or at least wrapped around the block? (Not sure if you need the paint stripper for a paint stripper...)
Well, it isn't my stripper to destroy (that did NOT sound right ), it's on loan. Aside from that, the inductive element glows orange. I think that's just a touch too hot for direct oil contact. Also, if you check the pictures you sent me, you'll see there is no dipstick, just a oil filler hole, on top of the front of the clutch casing. The raised section on the side of the head and cylinder points directly to it.

So basically there's no getting to the oil the easy way. I'm looking into getting a pad heater to wrap around the oil filter portion of the case, (the oil filter is an internal type). The possibility exists to mount a direct oil heater through the drain plug, but I have no idea how much clearance there is, if any, at the bottom of the case.

Since the price to operate the paint stripper is already so low, ($0.13 per trip, rough estimate), and the other end is basically paid for via my employer, I'm not in a hurry to change it.