View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
s2man
I"m not lurking!

Porthos - '96 Chevrolet Cavalier
90 day: 31.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXMonster View Post
And why only regen when braking? I tend to use over-run deceleration more than braking. As the engine is already slowing the vehicle then why not regen during this phase? Of course this will also work when braking
My thinking too. I'd put the microswitch on the throttle. 0 throttle = charge. Besides charging while decelerating, that would also charge during my neutral coasts on the hills where the stupid a/t is pushing the rpm's up around 1100. I'd also add a parallel switch so you can energize at will (eg the battery is low, headlights or fan on, etc)

I've bought the parts for a manual version (wires, switch and ammeter). I'll have to remember to switch it on when I'm coasting. I've already tested to verify the engine runs ok on 12V (some ECU's prefer the 14.5V from the alternator). I intended to do a highway test to verify it also likes 12V when under load. But my daughter (she used to own the car) said she drove it 60 miles at night without the alternator, and she had no issues with the engine running poorly.