View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
It sounds like the right decision was made to walk away.

For those interested, I could write a limited review of the 4 times I drove the Insight (for a total of probably 30 miles) With rentals, I have more time to drive, think, and write -- but I do have enough info and a gut feeling to at least choose the Insight.

So, we really hadn't gotten as far as $x cash down or anything. We didn't talk trade or anything.

By the way, is the transport fee common? This is on top of the $710 destination charge.

We also asked to see the "Invoice" and was shown a spreadsheet and prices in pretty purple pen (which is when the Manager stepped-in -- who looked like a high school student, by the way). We were rational and told him that we understood that the markup is thin on these cars and that they need to make some money on each unit. The Math on their invoice and the info we had, didn't add up to a reasonable figure. Perhaps it's too small of a dealer, and maybe they don't get the volume deals the big guys do, who knows...

FastPlastic- That's the first thing my Dad always does when he buys a car: takes off anything with the dealer name. Supposedly, back in the day (before adhesives were probably robust enough), they would drill holes in the trunk-lid to mount the shiny, chromed dealer name. I remember a story where the contract stated, if the car ordered had holes in it, the deal's off.

I do the same thing now, but it's much easier -- generally a license plate frame or vinyl decal comes right off. The first thing that's going on there: an EcoModder sticker

So, to conclude the thought, I can count at least 5 more Honda dealers within a 30-minute driving radius (and tons more further-out). At the end of the month, we'll try a few more. If it doesn't work, that used Prius sounds tempting...

RH77

_
_