View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #95 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by koihoshi View Post
That is very cool! Do you have your own set of gauges that you set for using these or does it go to electronic diagnostics? I'm assuming you're pulling it electronically with the given above graph?
For my studies, I needed the data for analysis, not 'real time.' So I calibrated my thermistor in a batch of ice water, 0 C, and live steam, 100 C. Once I had two points on the thermistor curve, I spot checked with ordinary tap water and a kitchen thermometer.

For my study, I simply measured the thermistor values on a pad and later entered them into a spreadsheet, which gave me the time and temperature values. Piece of cake.

Once we understand the dT of transaxle and transaxle warm-up, it is easy enough to use this information in driving benchmarks. So my rule of thumb is no benchmark driving until at least 30 minutes of travel in the speed range to be tested. Then have fun.

Some of the NHW11 drivers have no doubt noticed that 90% of the warm-up happens in the first 15-20 minutes. But if they look at those bar graphs long enough, they will probably notice it really is closer to 30 minutes before 'random' variations predominate. Having measure the transaxle warm-up, I know why. <grins>

Bob Wilson