View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
I'm going to back up Darin here. Let someone else take the depreciation hit and all those dealer chisels and get a used Prius. Or at least a new 2009 Pri.

My honey and I test drove the 2010 insight and it's got less room, it's noisier, and it has less highway pick-up than my 2003 Gen1 Prius. Did you sit in the back seats? I'm 5'11" and my head was touching the headliner. I had to lean a bit to the inside to keep it from touching. I couldn't look outside without crouching. That and it's a brand new model. It is usually better to wait for the next couple of model years till they sort out the kinks.

That said, it does seem to overall be a good car and less $$$, it just suffers in comparison to the Prius.

Just my hopefully not unwelcome two bits.

If you do go the used route you might try an auto broker. My sister got her cherry Honda Oddessy and saved $4000 off the going rates for similar vans. It was sitting at the back of a Dodge dealership. I think he charged $300. Don't know if they do this for new cars but you might try. I'm sure businesses use them to buy fleet vehicles.

Another trick is to get the dealerships competing with each other for the sale.

And the advertising junk... what a load of BS. They are fishing. Tell them this...You will be happy to waive your advertising fees if they remove all the Honda logos from the car.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.