View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
JeepNmpg2
Jeep Ecomodder

Daddy's Jeep - '00 Jeep Cherokee SE
90 day: 19.66 mpg (US)

Mama's Kia - '06 Kia Sedona LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Model airplane technology would suffice nicely.Glass over foam another path. The receiver-hitch route gets you a couple of feet extra length out of the shoot.Great for any SUV!.And easy on and off.
I agree completely on the hitch reciever route, as that's part of the original design, but I'm really leaning toward a non-permiable canvas-over-collapsable frame design. I have provisions for the rear lighting and licence plate relocation, though I haven't decided on how feasable (or difficult) a rear window (to see the tailgaters) would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you can begin your taper over the back portion of the body even better.
By this, do you mean begin the taper before reaching the bumper (for which the answer is yes), or cut a chunk out of the vehicle to begin the taper process (which I can assure you will NOT be happening )

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I have an idea for the rear of the XJ that takes advantage of the straight body lines. Put flaps on all 4 rear edges, each slightly angled inward, curved if possible. With about a foot of length you could decrease the cross section a decent amount.
The flaps can be made of aluminum and attached with double sided tape.
I fully intend to do just that (see above), except with more than a foot of length. If I could get some help from any fellow cherokee owner (any year XJ body style), could someone PM me or reply to this with close dimensions of the rear hatch? I'm looking for bumper to roofline and from one outer taillight edge to the other to refine some measurements thanks!