View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #384 (permalink)
atfab
Any Thing For A Buck

Sorry, but I don't need to understand the chemistry, I only report what I see in the sensors and injector pulses. My findings have duplicated those of others before me, on other cars, by trained automotive techs. You see I didn't believe it either.

Current wisdom is, short of major reprograming of the ECU/computer, is to separate out the Hg (not an easy task to accomplish in itself) then attempt to tweek the sensors into a state that appears to be normal enough that the ECU thinks everything is normal enough and does not "learn" around the changes. This would most likely involve ALL the sensors. Japanese and some newer, high end cars seem to be the hardest to trick.

I can lean the motor out some by very slightly reducing the map output voltage (this also retards the timing some, too much and it goes open loop), but two or three days later it won't start. (D__M ECU!) I may have a go around for this but have not gotten it installed because my S-10 is the family backup and needs to always work and I can take the train to work.

Right after the brakes, the computer is not your friend.