View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
There's the HP Tuners suite at around $700, or the DHP PowrTuner that's available used for $300-400.

Also there are many folks with tuners in Wisconsin and Minnesota. So getting a custom tune could be an option.

I don't have an ecomodding-friendly tune in my car. It's a "power" tune that happens to get okay fuel mileage. I got it mail-order. The biggest difference is the computer is much more sensitive to throttle input.
I have seen DIY setups much cheaper than that (that read and write to the eeprom) but there is no decent walkthrough of how to get the map figured out properly and the best way of tackling moving points within it for FE without blowing something up.

My main interests aren't for power but for FE. I would like to move the 4th gear shift point down a couple MPH and the low power lockup speed down about 5mph. I would also like to lean it a tad once in 4th at cruising speeds.

Main Page - OpenTuner Notebook

Lots of good info there, also here TunerPro and TunerPro RT - Professional Automobile Tuning Software DynamicEFI
It seems there are free tuners for the 3800 but having never used one (on dialup and old OS) it seems likely I won't learn until I try unless someone out there has a decompiled image of the 00 3800 motor ECU eeprom to play with in one of the freeby programs?

Perhaps you can use their info better than I, also I know there was a website with 3800 in the address that was specifically for tuning 3800 engines, can't find it now.

Cheers
Ryan