Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

You can't use straight exchange rates when figuring cost UK to US. It's always cheaper than that. If you don't believe me, you can look up UK prices for cars that are also sold in the US. I don't know if it's because the UK listed prices include VAT or what, but I've noticed the difference since I started reading UK magazines about 15 years ago. Nevertheless, I would be amazed to see it under $30k. Great looking car, though, better than anything else in that class, IMO.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Project EconoPolo - '04 Volkswagen Polo Twist TDi
90 day: 48.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
MetroMPG -

Great stuff. I want to see a close-up detail on the flexible spoiler lip. Does flexible mean it "gives" if it hits speed bumps?

CarloSW2
Almost all Vauxhalls/Opels have them over here in the UK. It's basically a cheap ABS plastic strip which doesn't stand out if you scuff it on something. Even so it's still about 15cm off the ground on standard suspension.

It's made from the same stuff as non-bodycoloured bumpers.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Slippery Buick?

FYI, Buick has revealed that they're bringing the Insignia to North America as the 4-cylinder Regal for 2011.

Could this be the (production) Buick with the lowest Cd ever?

source: 2011 Buick Regal returns with four-cylinder only engine lineup — Autoblog

Of course, there's no telling whether the Regal will get the aero tweaks of the most slippery version of the Opel, but at least we know it's possible.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
MetroMPG -

Yyyyyyyyup. That was going to be the next Saturn Aura, which would have been a better "fit" from an eco-marketing POV. It does look like they kept the front spoiler lip.

It may not come with some of the underside stuff, but I'll bet you could get that from Europe and bolt it on yourself.

In the current picture you can see that the Euro license plate dimension has a plastic cover for the NA design :

If I had one of these, I would probably swap out the Buick badges for Opel badges. I saw this the other day. Someone had swapped out Saturn Astra badges for Vauxhall Astra badges. Probably an English fellow or someone that liked the Griffin logo.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

And we get some turbo goodness too. I hope this Opel's computer is as easy to crack as the one in my car, which can be reprogrammed by a trained monkey. Playing around with timing in the 2.4 would likely be worth something, and definitely monkeying around with the 2.0 turbo could make the best out of that setup. Maybe swapping in a smaller turbo that spools sooner so you can run leaner and things like that.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
And we get some turbo goodness too. I hope this Opel's computer is as easy to crack as the one in my car, which can be reprogrammed by a trained monkey. Playing around with timing in the 2.4 would likely be worth something, and definitely monkeying around with the 2.0 turbo could make the best out of that setup. Maybe swapping in a smaller turbo that spools sooner so you can run leaner and things like that.
You wouldn't happen to have an ecomodding friendly burn I could borrow for the 00 buick motor in the 98 I have here?

What tools and software do you recommend?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

There's the HP Tuners suite at around $700, or the DHP PowrTuner that's available used for $300-400.

Also there are many folks with tuners in Wisconsin and Minnesota. So getting a custom tune could be an option.

I don't have an ecomodding-friendly tune in my car. It's a "power" tune that happens to get okay fuel mileage. I got it mail-order. The biggest difference is the computer is much more sensitive to throttle input.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
There's the HP Tuners suite at around $700, or the DHP PowrTuner that's available used for $300-400.

Also there are many folks with tuners in Wisconsin and Minnesota. So getting a custom tune could be an option.

I don't have an ecomodding-friendly tune in my car. It's a "power" tune that happens to get okay fuel mileage. I got it mail-order. The biggest difference is the computer is much more sensitive to throttle input.
I have seen DIY setups much cheaper than that (that read and write to the eeprom) but there is no decent walkthrough of how to get the map figured out properly and the best way of tackling moving points within it for FE without blowing something up.

My main interests aren't for power but for FE. I would like to move the 4th gear shift point down a couple MPH and the low power lockup speed down about 5mph. I would also like to lean it a tad once in 4th at cruising speeds.

Main Page - OpenTuner Notebook

Lots of good info there, also here TunerPro and TunerPro RT - Professional Automobile Tuning Software DynamicEFI
It seems there are free tuners for the 3800 but having never used one (on dialup and old OS) it seems likely I won't learn until I try unless someone out there has a decompiled image of the 00 3800 motor ECU eeprom to play with in one of the freeby programs?

Perhaps you can use their info better than I, also I know there was a website with 3800 in the address that was specifically for tuning 3800 engines, can't find it now.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 12-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

3800pro and 3800garage come to mind.

That's a lot of information on tuning right there. I wish I could play with it. Sadly it's far over my head.