View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #101 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
I had one guy tell me I was the stupidest person on the planet for building a metro like that. I should use a real car like a mustang I really fought the temptation to just be a troll in my response to him, but I couldn't resist. I used Red Green as my proof how I was building it was sound. I managed to get the guy so worked up I bet he is still mad at me

I can assure anyone who is watching this build that the car is really strong and will be reinforced where needed but still have a limited crumple zone. A mk2-3 metro is basically a tin can that has no strength and a single person jumping on the door opening could probably bend the car without a lot of effort. I left the factory suspension mounts on because they are 14ga metal and why bother duplicating the part in new metal. It would look nicer but won't actually be any stronger and take a lot more time to build. Plus it would mean I would have to resquare the suspension and that takes a huge amount of time to do. The way I did it the suspension stayed in place as I built the new parts then after the new stuff was holding it in place I could cut the old junk away. There would be no way to get the car done quickly without doing it this way and since my xfi is basically undriveable now I need something done quickly.

I was showing my neighbor how rotten the car was today and I gave the drivers wheel a hard yank showing him how the control arm gives. Now the wheel is actually sitting at about a 10-20 degree angle leaning in. So I figure the car is only going to go 50ft farther before being retired. And I probably will tow it into the garage so I don't damage a cv joint in case that wheel comes off. I guess that also ends my exhaust restrictor experiment without enough data to make a useful conclusion.