View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #2730 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
A couple of days ago was our first big snow storm of the year.
It was only about 5 inches, but real heavy, wet stuff, which of course, all turned to ice.

It's also the first time I have driven my car in snow with the Re-Volt controller instead of the Curtis.

Most of the roads are pretty good, but there are still a few icy spots, including in my driveway, in town, and the middle of a few intersections.

I noticed the first time that my front tires lost traction with the road, that they spin up differently than they did with the Curtis.

Because of the "throttle-ramp-up" feature of the controller to limit amps on acceleration, the tires kinda spin funny. It's really hard to describe. I almost didn't realize what was happening at first.

Also, without a tachometer, or engine noise, it's pretty hard to notice that your motor just spun up really fast. Since the tires are just slipping, there's not much load to be reported by the ammeter either!.

Anyways, just wanted to let anyone else running around in the snow with the homebuilt controller to just to know about it.

I will try to give a better report next time I am out driving in the great white slippery-ness!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos