View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #132 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Update: Installed a lower rad hose heater today. Usually placed on the lowest part of the return rad hose. I installed mine on the return hose between the inverter and engine.

Warm coolant will rise up into the head while the cooler coolant will "fall" down past the heater to circulate up again. Not the most efficient type but every bit helps. Since I have a heat retaining blanket installed, the leftover heat will stay in the engine compartment and help warm it from the outside as well. I installed a bit of blanket on the top of the return hose because I can't help myself.

I also had the idea of installing one of these heaters on the transaxle loop of the HV inverter coolant lines Although, I'm not sure the coiled design would allow for that kind of circulation. Pan heater is probably a better idea for the transaxle.

I am still planning to do the coolant pump hack. I couldn't find a 3/4 inch inline heater. the closest is a 1" so I would have to fabricate something to make that work or find 1" to 3/4" adaptors

Now I have it in my head to install a thermos as well. We'll see if my ambition is greater than my perseverance in due time..

The reasons for my heater mania, besides the fact that I live in Canada are twofold: Instant cabin heat and FE. My first 5 minutes of driving usually net about 7.5 L/100Km but when warm I can eek out a 1.5 L/100Km Since most of my trips are short, Getting into stage 4 sooner should make a big difference on my average kilometreage.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.