View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
rgathright
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '09 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It's important to understand what "lifespan" means in terms of industry standards as well.

By several definitions I've read, a battery is considered worn out when its capacity is 80% of new.

(I don't know what the auto industry standard is for EV packs.)

So barring a cell failure that disables the pack, you can keep on using it past the due date as long as it continues to meet your range requirements.

Some observers expect to see a new industry spring up: repurposing "dead" EV batteries that still have a lot of life left in them, for other non-auto applications.
Your discussion seems focused on the lifespan of these batteries under ideal conditions. Which, the members of this forum are all concerned about. MetroMPG, I would be happy to take your 80% used EV batteries anytime.

However, in the real world, where people drive like maniacs on their cel-phones and cut each other off just to get to McDonalds, PHEV Prius owners are going to drain their batteries fast and leave them uncharged for weeks.

For example: I have never bought a replacement laptop battery for myself. Never. While on the other hand, I buy laptop batteries for friends and company employees all day. They all have the sad story that they forgot to bring their charger on vacation or at the business meeting.

The reason we had all had to wait for PHEV's is because the automobile manufacturer's had to design protective logic into the battery banks on their cars. If Toyota releases this PHEV and we as Americans start filing lawsuits over dead batteries in the first year, you can kiss EV's goodbye... forever.