View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Mainaahhh
EcoModding Lurker

Hey, new to this forum, very cool!
My 1999 Honda Accord 2.3L. got about 28 MPG average when it was brand new. 10 years and 170,000 miles later, it is consistently getting 30-31 MPG. I changed out the stock air filter box, and installed a cold air intake, with a reusable K&N air filter. Made the mileage go up a little, but did wonders for throttle response (not that I drive like an animal). I am constantly maintaining this car, as I want it to go for another 100,000 miles. Just adjusted the valve clearances, and am getting about 1 mpg better. For all you DIY types out there: if you have a car that does not have hydraulically lifted valve rockers, the clearances can be adjusted, and doing so makes the engine run much cleaner, and more efficiently. Over time, the intake valves shrink, and the exhaust valves stretch, so adjusting those clearances back to the factory settings every now and then makes a huge difference. Since I have a 37 mile commute 1 way, keeping my car in top condition is not only saving money, but also the environment, and you just have to love that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mainaahhh For This Useful Post:
Booey (08-12-2011), TDFbound (11-25-2018)