View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #119 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
GeoThermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
It's NOT geothermal. Geothermal's when you have a hot spring or similar source, and use the heat directly - your only energy cost is a little bit for pumping water through the system. (And geothermal doesn't do a thing for cooling.) Those are ground-source heat pumps, an entirely different technology. They are, as you say, a good way to reduce heating costs, and they can be used for cooling in the summer, but calling them geothermal is at best a mistake, if not false advertising.
Ah, yes it is. Google it and make a note of the model with 3 wells drilled and you will see the one he got. This was researched before he bought the system. There are OTHER types of GeoThermal, but what he bought is indeed the same technology as I have seen the paper work with the same name stamped on the manual. No doubt about it, and no need to pass GO. It is what I claim.

"(And geothermal doesn't do a thing for cooling.) "

Oh really? There are more than one type of GeoThermal, perhaps you have them confused. All one has to do is google the term, as I did, and one finds such results as I linked to and posted below:"

Go Here:
Geothermal Heating & Air Conditioning

Here is a Quote: "This marvelous technology relies primarily on the Earth’s natural thermal energy, a renewable resource, to heat or cool a house or multi-family dwelling. The only additional energy GeoExchange systems require is the small amount of electricity they employ to concentrate what Mother Nature provides and then to circulate high-quality heating and cooling throughout the home.

Homeowners who use GeoExchange systems give them superior ratings because of their ability to deliver comfortably warm air, even on the coldest winter days, and because of their extraordinarily low operating costs. As an additional benefit, GeoExchange systems can provide inexpensive hot water, either to supplement or replace entirely the output of a conventional, domestic water heater.

GeoExchange heating and cooling is cost effective because it uses energy so efficiently. This makes it very environmentally friendly, too. For these reasons, federal agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy, as well as state agencies like the California Energy Commission, endorse"

And On This Page we have a company using BOTH terms, "GeoThermal" AND "Ground Based Heat Pumps" interchangeably - And that is what my father has, and they had to drill 3 very very deep wells then they hit the water table and had to back off a bit. SEE:http://www.igshpa.okstate.edu/geothe...esidential.htm

"Such can be seen from this quote from the same link above: The Department of Energy (DOE) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have both endorsed ground source heat pump systems as among the most energy efficient and environmentally friendly heating, cooling, and water heating systems available. In a 1993 report, the EPA concluded that geothermal technologies represent a major opportunity for reducing national energy use and pollution, while delivering comfort, reliability and savings to homeowners."

I have no idea what you are speaking of.

Support American
Workers!

Last edited by Jammer; 12-19-2009 at 03:38 PM..