View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
I just realized one thing I could do: I can take the "good" cells (top battery) and swap them into the bottom battery - it's the original battery from my newer laptop, just replaced this summer. I should have done that in the first place, instead of buying a new $60 battery. Wasn't thinking!

That would give me a 2nd battery. I wonder if I could parallel them somehow that wouldn't freak out the computer/battery circuit...

---

Guitar: my limited understanding is you can charge them "safely" at low current until they approach full voltage. That's when the potential for trouble starts. So, if you don't have a smart charger, and are willing to give up some capacity (by stopping the charge a little early), you can use a dumb charging method.

---

Robert: 14.8v.... yes! Reminded me of another potential idea I had: a "boost" pack to support alternator-less driving. Something relatively light & portable that could be plugged into the cigarette lighter.

If I could track down some more decent cells, that might be a project.

I keep thinking of this (and probably saying it) but I may have a couple of sources for used cells. I know a guy who runs a computer store, and another who runs a Black & Decker warranty repair depot. I wonder if he's handling cordless lithium stuff in his work ...
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget