View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The model is a 73 Datsun fan clutch, so the cooling fins are there because it was something that was available and easy to make into the model.

Port timing does change as stroke position is increased, but the TDC point movement is relatively small in relation to port alignment. This could be corrected (if it was needed) with an articulated collar over the hub to maintain port alignment. It is also a function of the length of the journal arm, with a longer arm creating less change. It may be that we will find that the change could actually provide a benefit in dynamic operation.

Just noticing that (dcb) means you have spent some time looking at the design, and I thank you for the effort. The engineering students at Tech told me it was very difficult to understand without the model to demonstrate the principle.

The Basic concept is to address the issues of reciprocation and connecting rod side loads that are a part of any conventional reciprocating engine.

Also to allow the mass of the engine itself to serve as short term storage of energy created when running at BSFC, above any beyond the amount of power required to maintain vehicle speed.

Simplicity is also a benefit. No valve train and a single port for all induction and exhaust functions. Supercharging would allow relatively small intake passageways and high turbulence. Warm up time would be very minimal, with all intake and exhaust passing through the same passageway, you only need a single spark plug and injector (assuming spark ignition-I prefer compression ignition).

Constant load operation without restrictive throttle control would make HCCI operation potentially less difficult to utilize if spark ignition was used as well.

The CVT transmission was my original configuration when I conceived this design over 5 years ago. Now I would use the engine to charge an accumulator for my IVT power train design (see the hydraulic hybrid link). The system requires step less "gear" changes so the energy stored in the flywheel mode can be applied at a constant power level at any flywheel speed within the limitations of the available CVT ratios.

Think of this as a low speed super high torque mechanical capacitor, that can store energy in its own mass, in addition to having an accumulator for additional storage.

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/...ing/2480741041

Notice how long it keeps spinning after the kill the ignition at the end, even with a prop!

Just found this video. Notice the fuel control, or lack of control, the ignition is cut off to stop the engine.

In 1913 a rotary engine was made that produced 160 HP out of 700 cubic inches at 1300RPM. In that same year a Mercedes grand prix engine produced 200 HP at 2200 rpm but it was twice that displacement, and almost 1000 RPM greater speed.

If they could do that in 1913 imagine what could be done today with modern control and construction technology.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 12-22-2009 at 08:05 AM..