View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #83 (permalink)
born2pdl
EcoModding Lurker

Lots of git-er-done types can put together projects based on what they have because they build stuff all the time and have lots of tools and shop space, but for the average person to start a significant project using an aged 125cc 4speed? It's never good to call anyone's baby ugly, so I think that could work fine. Or use all the time you would spend on this project working a part time job and you'd have the cash to just buy one of those finished 150cc chinese reverse trikes they sell in Texas for $2700.

I too would love to make a reverse trike (RT) for FE purposes. Some things I've pondered for my project:
-Having budget, time, space and tools are all necessary to complete a RT project.
-Experienced modifiers have found that a slightly bigger engine running at lower load can still get great FE while increasing flexibility for gearing, top cruising speed and start-up torque needs.
-80's & 90's donor motocycles have 6speed trannys, good technology/reliability and styling, and fixer-uppers can be found cheap during the winter. Maybe an old 250 ninja, 250 virago, 250 honda/yamaha scooter?
-Final weight will likely be a surprise when all is said and done (usually goes up).
-A ton of time and resource will go into a decent RT, and the cost of the donor will be a small part of it. The result will be a rolling advertisement of the ecomodder movement. Everyone will want to closely look over a unique ride like that. I would want to show off a nice looking drivetrain in a clean project.
-Building a running RT with proper brakes, controls, instruments, steering, suspension, seats/belts without it looking like a hack-job would really be a huge project for most. Enclosed body with HVAC would turn that into almost impossible for me. What will I really have time and stamina for?

My ideal RT would be a side-by-side that could cruise at 75mph on interstates. I wish some creative type would market affordable reverse trike frame/chassis kits for a single seat streamliner, tandem streamliner and 2 side-by-side. Difficult to succeed as a business though since we ecomodders tend to not like to spend a lot of money.