View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tweety
Out of my mind, back in 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Oh, I was doing a bit of math there. I already have a few spare cells... I needed 6,798 more to DIY my own roadster pack.

Poor man's lithium... has it been done yet?

(EV Album - Battery Type: Lithium-Ion )

To do this on the cheap, I have a feeling you'd need an "in" with a company that sells/services lithium powered products ... or even a cell manufacturer. You need access to castoffs/bad modules you can harvest good cells from.

Another way to look at this would be to look at lithium is an investment. Treated properly, you can conceivably get multiple thousands of cycles from your cells, so you could have them for years and years. Even move them from vehicle to vehicle. Per mile, they're less expensive than lead acid. New lead acid, that is.

Nahh... I'd like to see someone do it on the cheap!
Well... If I'm coming on to strong here for a "newbie" feel free to ban me... But MetroMPG, sorry to disagree but you are on the wrong track and leading others with you... Get the facts straight...

On that list is a bunch of confused people, not people using Li-Ion...

Zoltan Szirmay's 1991 Fiat Tipo 1.4 ... No Thundersky does NOT make Li-Ion batteries... They use LiFePo4 chemistry...

Devinci's Mini-Baja Electric ... Neither does a 123, guess what they are "famous" for? Oh right, LiFePo4 cells...

Same goes for most on that list... They reference A123 cells or Thundersky, or a bunch of other manufacturers that use LiFePo4 chem...

Show me one example of Li-Ion batteries in a DIY EV that works and I'll shut up, but until then I'm gonna yell and shout... LiFePo4 is radicaly different from both Li-Ion and LiPo people... Nobody on that list is using Li-Ion... They are just confused about what they are using...

A LiPo cell is prone to blowing up if charged the wrong way... Building a pack for a car with that would be stupid in an order of magnitude untold... They are very common in small packs made for RC planes and such and are ideal as someone said for the lights on a bike (think it was tadpoletrike?)... But definetly not for a traction pack...

Li-Ion is very, very picky about charging voltage... Charge one cell the wrong way and it goes dead... And nothing brings it back... There are most defintly EV's using them... All of them are factory products with advanced BMS systems... Not DIY builds...

As i said in my previous post... Saying "Lithium battery" is like saying "fuel"... It can be horsemanure or moonshine or whatever...

Get the fact straigth before you start confusing others... Please?! There is a lot of knowledge on this site... And a lot of you are my guides in EV building (planning so far...) But in this you need to do some research...