View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I'd buy tickets to read an "immersion learning" experience authored by Paul about somehow using lithium to power an EV on the cheap. I have a feeling by the end of it there would be a fair amount of clarity about the idiosyncrasies of the different chemistries.)
Oh wow! Tickets are currently on sale now! Operators are standing by! Yeah, I guess I DO need to pin down a "fuel" so I don't stir up more controversy! I should have prefaced the thread with my ORIGINAL thoughts on the car which was non-rechargeable batteries, like this:
The Panasonic Oxyride Speed Challenge – The Blogs at HowStuffWorks

Then, my ecofriendly conscience took over, and I realized the only way to go is rechargeable. The DIY version that most closely resembles what I'm looking for can be found here:

So, according to the pack I have, that would mean I need to research "nickel cadmium". Also, I was well aware of the fact that laptop batteries as a "fuel" were a good choice originally BECAUSE of the fact that they are so picky about charging and stuff; I've seen those videos where they catch fire, and it seems to me that it could serve a dual purpose: power the car AND provide that oh-so-unobtainable heater system that everyone always talks about. I don't think nickel cadmium goes "boom" though, so that might not be the best choice. Yeah, I need to research. I think for the time being, until I pin down a "fuel" that my rechargeable batteries will use, I'll refer to them as "go-juice containers".