View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
not to nitpick Ben, but that light blue car is a Commuticar, the name change happened when the company was sold in I think 1978 or '79, they also made some changes like a larger motor, real glass windows instead of side curtains, and the most noticed change is the large black bumpers that stick out about one foot front and back, they hold the batteries, were the citicar has the batteries under the seat.
But yes, they were one of the electric cars that had the largest production numbers, about 2,500 citicars, not sure how many commuticars... sure those are low numbers compared to other vehicles that have been made, but compare that to the 1,100 EV1's that were made, or under 1,000 Chevy S-10 electric's.
Yesterday I talked to a guy about 70 miles away who has a Commuticar that he might be willing to sell me (put an ad on craigslist want-ad's a month ago), he said his dad got it new in the '80's when he visited the factory, and said that his dad was one of the founders of the HMV Free Way, a 3 wheeled "car" that was classified as a motorcycle and got 80+mpg for the gas model, had a limited production of the diesel model, and not sure if they ever sold the electric model, but it sounds like this commuticar was obtained thru a trade of an electric Free Way, hoping to take a look at it on Saterday.