View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
landscaper52
EcoModding Lurker

New Vehicles / Old vehicles

Hello again,

I seem to have a way of infuriating people on this website, but I'll try once more to make a point, this time , (hopefully) without pissing you off...

I had a Ford Ranger that I was ecomodding the heck out of, to try and get the best mileage I could...after all sorts of mods, I got no more than 10% better fuel economy than factory...the usual list...air dam, wheel covers, hypermiling, tonnaeu, etc.etc.

To cut it short, at the end of last Summer the Ranger was stolen. After all the trouble I had spent on it, not to mention all the money I had spent on it over the years.

I was mad, I was sad, and then I was finally relieved when I got my insurance check! Less than I paid, but more than I expected...oh well, life goes on.

Bought a Geo Tracker (I know, all you 'pros' are mad at me for not owning a metro!) instead...still has 4x4, down to 4 cyl from 6, manual from automatic, and lightweight from heavyweight.

Realized I don't need the truck most of the time, heck, never...I'll use a trailer, when I need a small truck, for the rest of the time, I'm carrying 7 feet less vehicle!

It's a 1991, but it's an 80's design...less B.S. inside. All that plastic crap and metal crap is weighing down the cars... I've read all the this mods, and that mods and the other mods. It all comes down to simple physics...power to weight ratio...aerodynamics helps, but no more than dropping a few hundred pounds. Half the aeromods on these lists involve making things smaller, or deleting them...(in case you didn't notice, when you make something smaller, or get rid of it altogether, it weighs less!)

So my 2010 resolution for ecomodding is try to work on your weightloss program, and the new figures for your car will be better!

Talk to ya'll soon!