View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #2851 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Updated my controller firmware and RTD software

Today's exciting news is that I (finally) got the most current version of the ReVolt Open Source (Cougar) Controller firmware loaded into the controller.

Along with that I now also have the RTD Explorer latest version installed, to be able to view data from the controller AND tweak its parameters in real-time!

Special thanks to Adam for helping walk me through all the steps to get it going.

The really weird thing is that BEFORE working on upgrading the controller, I ran into a problem where it wouldn't output ANY current to the motor. I ended up removing the controller for bench-testing. Eventually, we tracked the problem down to one of the setting in the controller (throttle_ramp_rate?) to being set to ZERO. How it got set to that, I have NO idea - some crazy bug? Who knows!?!?

I also didn't like that fact that it was rather difficult to see either of the LEDs on the controller with the metal cover in place. I solved the problem by drilling two holes through the case, just above the LEDs. (packaging tape will keep rain out for now) I would eventually like to have a clear plastic cover for the controller to show off its cool circuit-board guts!

With the new software and firmware installed, I only had time for one quick ride around the block before having to call it a day. I am pretty excited about all the new settings I can tweak, and how the controller runs the main contactor now.

-Ben

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos