View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Interesting discovery. I've finally gotten my scangauge back from being upgraded, so I put it in the Paseo. Water temp was a big thing I wanted to monitor with the vehicle so I could see how far I could go with grill blocking. To my amazement the car is running at 190-200°F already! As far as I know it has a 185° thermostat. I'm not sure what temp the fan kicks in. I'll have to look that up in the service manual tonight and double check the thermostat temp.

So, it doesn't look like I have much room to work. However, I plan on making room to work. How? By improving the efficiency of the stock setup. Currently, air enters the front bumper through the main opening, and two small side openings. It then goes wherever it wants and runs into many different things. I'm thinking that I will add some deflectors inside the front bumper to direct airflow directly over the radiator. This would stop air from going around the radiator and thus provide more consistant cooling. The image below is a top down view and kind of shows what I mean. The two small outer vents will eventually be covered.