View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kincurd
EcoModding Lurker

Plan is to remove the A/C of my '02 Corolla

For one, I never use it. Secondly, I hear it weighs a ton (50lbs or something?). The question is, is it simple enough to remove the A/C without compromising my heating? The heater is something I definitely need to keep.

The Haynes manual tells me how to remove things, but it assumes they will be reinstalled, and I'm not sure if removing the A/C system is as simple as simply removing it. It looks like I would be removing the following components:

A/C Receiver-drier/accumulator
A/C Compressor
A/C Condenser
A/C Evaporator Core
A/C expansion (orifice) tube

So the question on my mind is will I end up taking apart more than I should, and find out that I'm also compromising the heating, which is a necessity in the winter?

Weight reduction is first on my list, because it seems like it's a lot easier to take things away from my car, than to make and add things to it.

Sorry if this has already been thoroughly discussed, but I cannot find the information through a search. The only other real mod I've done to my car isn't really all that Eco, but it was a simple e85 conversion, so that I have more options at the pump. It hasn't been so economical yet, but you never know when petroleum will sky rocket (hopefully leaving e85's price alone).