View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kincurd
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
As a guy that has removed the AC from his "toy car", I can tell you ...

I removed the Compressor, Condenser, dryer and all the hose, etc from the engine bay of my '91 Nissan 240SX when the R12 system died and I got sick of throwing money at it. I left the under dash components so I wouldn't have to be creative closing up the heat ducting under the dash...

My compressor probably weighted 20 pounds MAX with oil. The condenser and other things weigh very little

The only time I regret removing it is when it rains, the defroster/defogger doesn't work very well/at all to de-fog the windshield.

Another thing to consider is that I'll bet you you will get better Fuel economy with the windows up and AC on that you will with the windows down at highway speeds.

For what it is worth, if it works, leave it in, the windshield defroster/defogger selection on your climate control uses it, even if you don't have it on...
Yeah I'm pretty sure from the diagrams that my car would have that under-dash air-duct problem. I'd have to get creative, or simply not remove that part.

Thanks, and yes, I'm aware of the windows down thing. I don't roll them down to cool off. I usually just turn the plain fan on if anything.

The defrosters not working sounds pretty scary though, for someone like me who has to deal with ice and snow.

Also, I will probably keep these parts I remove intact and in storage in case I ever have to put them back on and resell.