View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Rick, that's cool. How did you do that?
I rigged this up about a year ago...

First, I opened the housing of the cruise-control servo assembly. Inside is essentially what looks like the throttle-body arm attached to an electric servo. It has a metal stop on each end for zero throttle input, and maximum cruise throttle input.

I found if you wedge a hex-wrench in there, then the arm rotates and stops depending on the size of the wrench. With manual rotation and SG monitoring, I got it to limit the cruise to 21% TPS by trying a variety of wrench sizes. Then the whole works was clamped together.

For safety purposes, nothing restricts the 0-21% movement of the cog -- so it can still be de-activated by pressing the brake, etc.

It's great for longer highway trips that become tiresome.

BTW, great numbers Larry, and Welcome I had the pleasure of renting about 4 Priuses lately and I absolutely love them! I have to admit that actually they're fun to drive from the way they operate to handling, etc. I drove on some twisty mountain roads and found that the response and handling is surprising agile and forgiving -- more like a small sportscar, if I could be so bold. Great for those downhill charge-ups

RH77

_
_