View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 03:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
RH77, with only ~3qts vs ~6qts the tranny can take, you aren't worried that going half with synthetic and half with the original stuff might cause problems/limit potential of the new fluid?
I have thought of this. The problem of an overhaul change is the time and effort to clear it all out (disconnecting the radiator hoses, have an assistance start the car, shift into gear, drain the old fluid out and draw the new fluid into the inflow hose...)

I had the bottle of the stuff for a month and had a quick evening to get it done .

The compatibility isn't a concern -- it can mix OK, but you're right, the "syntheticness" total is roughly half. The plan is to order another gallon and change it out again in 30K miles (or the 3rd oil change) -- which should get it up to at least 75%+. Then I'll have another bit to start the process on the Civic (I plan to take over the maintenance on it -- the dealer seemed to drop the ball on fluids -- I'm a bit upset about that and may have a case against them for fraud). It was looked at within 7000 miles and the trans fluid was barely on the stick. The air filter looked like it had not been touched in over 50K miles (the bolts were nearly welded onto the airbox).

I know it's costly for the fluid, but a transmission is too. An argument can be made that a standard fluid change is sufficient -- but that's not exciting There's some Scientific Testing effect as well, to see if the FE budges at all. EOC worries me too...but so far, so good. I'm working on extreme temps from bitter cold to boiling hot. It seems like a good investment...

RH77

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 03-22-2008 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: grammar