View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Coincidentally, I just read an article about the aero changes Mazda made between the two generations of the 3, and it addresses several of the things "represented" in that video.

• 0.30 - 0.32 - previous generation's drag coefficient (depending on body style and tire size)
  • 0.29 to 0.31 - latest generation's Cd
Regarding the grille...

Quote:
Combining the two medium-sized grille openings used previously into one larger opening also pays functional dividends. Frear explains: "Shifting the air-intake lower on the car increases the pressure of the flow. As a result, the actual grille opening is 20-percent smaller than what was necessary with the previous generation MAZDA3. Most of the air is routed over the hood or around the sides of the car
Also...

Quote:
Subtle reshaping of the front bumper beam greatly diminishes the turbulence of air passing through the grille. Several speed flaps located in the radiator shroud automatically open at highway velocities to allow some air to bypass the cooling fan.
That one's not clear to me. They don't seem to be saying the car has an active grille, which would keep extra air outside the engine bay in the first place.

They seem to be saying that when pressure rises high enough, the flow that already got through the grille is passively re-routed from highly tortuous "path A" to somewhat less tortuous "path B".

Regarding the sedan....

Quote:
"...the elevated decklid surface is both an aerodynamic aid and a means of maximizing trunk room."
Regarding the A-pillar & other details...

Quote:
Wind tunnel testing revealed that small deflectors located near the front tires and subtle adjustments to the upper-forward corners of the A-pillars, outside mirrors, windshield wipers, and taillamps also helped smooth air flow along the sides of the car. The net gain was a six-percent reduction in wind noise.
And they finish with an unsupported flourish...

Quote:
In terms of aero performance, the new MAZDA3 is one of the most efficient entries in its segment.
That's all stuff from a Mazda press release.

Funny they don't mention the underbody panels shown in the video. Wonder if they left them off the production version...
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget