View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #146 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
"usually" what happens is a NON flex vehicle gets some E10 that has a bit more E than E10 is supposed to. Kills fuel pumps "real" fast in older cars.

Even straight proper E10 kills fuel pumps over time. I am pretty well convinced the only reason this is not a "big news" problem is two fold.

#1 when it happens people never suspect the fuel
#2 people who have older cars tend to not keep them more than 4 or 5 years which is how long it can sometimes take to kill the pump. The new owner just assumes its part and parcel with buying a used car again never guesses its the fuel.

I drive a LOT more miles than most people so those time scales are accelerated for me a bit. I also keep my cars for quite a bit longer than 4 years or so.

I have replaced the fuel pump in every single gasoline powered vehicle I own since the introduction of ethanol except 2. The 74 Thing (which has never yet tasted ethanol) and my 94 Metro which I have only owned for 3 months.

The last one I replaced was the 92 Clubwagon's fuel pump (twice) this latest pump is ALREADY starting to make noise after 1 year of use. (in over a million miles of driving I have never "heard" my fuel pumps short of a tiny hard to hear whirrr on key turn sometimes. This one was PLAINLY audible in operation over the engine noise.

The new pump was silent for about 6 months but its now starting to make noise. Not as loud as the old pump but still I can hear it. I should not be able too. This tells me its likely going to fail on me in the next couple years like the past one did.

The other vehicles do not get driven enough for this to be as much a problem. We will see what happens with the metro. Though if I have my way its going to stop tasting ethanol pretty soon.