Thread: Fabia 1.4TDi
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
90 day: 33.04 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I have the VRS hatchback, I'm thinking of downsizing to the 1.4 (amongst other options) - those are decent figures. And I like the extra space.

I can get 65 on my homeward journey but only just under 50 average for the outward one - downhill vs uphill I think. But the real accurate measure is tank to tank which is usually less than the overall average.

Is it the 3cyl engine ?
The 1.4 is the 3-cyl engine, you're correct. It came in 75bhp and 90bhp flavours as far as I know, though I think the 90bhp version might only have been available in the Audi A2.

Personally, if I had the vRS, I wouldn't see much reason to downsize unless you're really hard up and need the extra economy, as the vRS achieves such great figures as it is. Pound for pound there are probably very, very few cars that offer the economy that the vRS can manage with as much performance as it can also manage. Unless you find yourself barely ever using the performance, I can't see too many good reasons to downsize (although you do mention space). I reckon the sixth gear helps the vRS too, especially on motorways.

Best compromise of course would have been if Skoda had ever built a vRS Combi. I know a few private owners have built their own, which is just brilliant (a vRS estate would be close to the top of my all-time favourite VAG products!).